It Came From Beneath The Earth!!!



Actually it was growing in a clod of dirt on top of the Garden. Looks like I beheaded an alien with my new alien head chopper. ( a large skinning knife Jo-Ann brought me.)

It has been tentativly identified as a mangalore:




Weirdest turnip I have ever seen. Have a large crop of them still to dig up, also some parsnips, beets and brussels sprouts. Alas, the Yukon Gold potatoes are no more. Next year I will have enough to make it through till Spring.

Still dunging out one of the pole barns to make a lumber and barnwood storage area. the one was used for horses and had a couple of inches of horse manure mixed with straw over the hand hewn floor. I am packing that all out and mixing it with some well composted piggy poop. The garden will love that stuff. It will be snow soon and I don't want to leave several stacks of rough wood and barnwood out over the winter. One of my projects is to build a solar kiln to dry the wood down to 9 or 10 percent. Basically it's really just a green house.

I almost have accumulated enough glass now to build a green house but I think I will start out with a hot box for growing some lettuce over the winter. Now thats another thing I learnt about gardening, lettuce is surprisingly tolerent of the cold temperatures up here - it is still growing. Planted way too much of that. How much lettuce can two people and the occasional guests eat?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Wood

I'm Back!

We've Sprung a Leak