Bolting

The spinach, that is.  I've become resigned to the fact that I am unable to grow spinach in the green house.  Even in the winter time it gets too warm.  I planted spinach several weeks ago and when I checked yesterday it was six inches high and starting to bolt.  As I have suspected for a while now, I can grow tomatoes or lettuce in the same green house during the winter months but not both..

We've just had over a foot of snow fall in mid March.  And it looks like it's not over yet.  It's time to start putting plastic covers on the tire garden and melting the snow.  As soon as I can work the soil, perhaps in as little as a week, I can start planting spinach and lettuce outside.

I haven't been doing much on this blog as of late.  We have decided to become an actual, farm and so have been setting up our business.  Our Website is www.savoryfarm.ca.  We also have a Facebook page.  I have been astonished at the business it has brought in.  Hopefully we'll be able to fulfill all the requests for weiners and full grown feeders in a month or so.  It sounds like it's going to be a busy spring.

What is our operating philosophy to be.  Well, I've been reading a lot of Joel Salatin lately and talking with some local organic farmers.  That should tell you the general direction were taking.  The organic food market in B.C. is largely untapped and local organic suppliers cannot get enough B.C. farmers to supply them and are going as far east as New Brunswick to replenish their stocks.  That's the Atlantic seaboard.. Clear across the country.  Like shipping lettuce from New York to California!

The hoops to garnering a certified organic status seem prodigious at times.  A process that can take as long as three years.  We're hoping it won't take that long as the land we have, probably a hundred acres of tillable soil, hasn't been used for anything but cattle grazing for the last twenty years or so.

Anyway stay tuned.  It promises to be an exciting year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Wood

I'm Back!

We've Sprung a Leak