Framed

I haven't been keeping up with the blogging lately as I have been pretty busy around the joint doing the last minute things before the real snow comes. We've had a few warnings. Both of the main vehicles, the Toyota and AWD van now have new, studded winter tires complete with rims. After a quick trip to Prince George to the local Kenworth dealer I've ordered the parts to get the skidsteer back up and running. And humming and hawing about an eight foot plow that would fit the skidsteer. In between all this I have been working on a few other projects.

My brother Tom came up a few days ago and we spent the whole day studding the shop/garage. Normally it wouldn't take so long but we had to notch just about every stud to fit a plate that was from the old pole barn construction. When we were done we had it done and even hung the side door.

Today need to do some wiring so I can put a vapour barrier on the ceiling so I can put some OSB on the ceiling so I can put OSB on the main garage door wall so I can install the main overhead door. And If I turn on the spot lights I just might get the lock set installed in the side door.

The outdoor cold storage box is all insulated and I have the duct lines running into the basement. We've been testing it for a couple of days now and it seems to be able to keep the temperature around +5C (40ish F). I have yet to add a thermostat and and bathroom fan to keep the temperature consistant even when it gets to -30c. Different idea: keeping a fridge warm. I beleive "modern" energy efficient fridges arn't. Sure they keep food cool - if their plugged in. But the insulation is so poor that's what manufacturors count on to keep them warm. I have been tempted to try this super insulation on our indoor freezers and run outside air ducts to the compressors. Anyway let's see how this one works. The proof will be carrots in February. I still want to build a proper cold storage but that might have to wait for this winter.

Oh and doing some long overdue filter maintenance. Can you guess which filter needed to be replaced? Yowzer - pretty damning indictment against a fellow who was supposed to be in the maintenance business. It's now in the scheduled tasks file.

In between these projects I have been trying to get an internet tower installed on the property. The ground is starting to freeze up and I am not sure I can get the cement poured in time without having to heat it. This week I hope to get the hole dug and we'll see how fast I can get it dug and rebared. Waiting for the operator who is busy on other jobs.
Doesn't look like a 60 foot tower does it? All packaged up waiting to be set in eight yards of cement.

Comments

Wendy said…
That is the coolest cold storage I have ever seen! I've been trying to talk my husband into something like that, but he's not convinced. Ahh! Very frustrating.

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Wood

We've Sprung a Leak

I'm Back!