Another Sh*ty Situation

Well not really. The septic tank at the second house on the property, Grandma's, hasn't been used in several years to it wasn't to bad at all. It was an old wooden septic tank and had deteriorated to a large hole in the ground. So it was time to replace it with a modern septic ball.

We are trying to get the place habitable. Now it needs some water leaks fixed, a new porch roof and decking and some handrails and it will be a great place for visitors to stay. It has the best view of the place as it is a couple of hundred feet higher than the main house.

The Tire gaden project progresses. With some last minute snags. When I went to turn on the main feed the underground valve stem broke so I had to jury-rig a hose connection to the distribution panel. Which is simply a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood that will house the water filter, sink, and taps.

I will have to dig down four feet and replace the valve. Excavator work. I will go looking for a more "Skookum" unit in Prince George on Tuesday so I can complete the set up. I also need to pick up some more drip irrigation sprinkler heads. That's the whole point of the water set up. Drip irrigation gets the water right to the roots of the plants and doesn't water the weeds. Not that their will be a lot of them with mulching in place. It's so much more efficient than sprinkling. And I can automate it via timer so that the plants won't dry out if I am off rock-hounding or visiting customers at the Coast.

Yesterday I planted twelve tires of plant sets that we got from a local green house. I have amended the somewhat clay soil with perlite and peatmoss. It looks like plant candy now. Loose and rich. The Tommy Toes, Romas and Tumblers have grown about five inches in the last week. I think they like the heat. Now the trick will be to keep them from overheating. I might try a mister set up that will cool the tires off. Or simply leaving the lids off during the hot days. Assuming that we will have some of those. The heat wave of the last two days ( + 22 to +24c ) seems to be over with today being overcast. Great day for working in the Garden. Hopefully it won't rain. Otherwise I have some programming to do.

In the last week all the leaves have come out on the poplars and willows around the place and we can't see highway 16 anymore. Wonderful green isolation. I swear my soul drinks in green..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Wood

I'm Back!

We've Sprung a Leak