Skip to main content

the Retired Garden

Our tire garden worked so well last year that we are expanding it this year. We are going to be installing 52 units. The soil will be in the bottom two tires and a reflector on top. Total tires required = 156. We ran 1/2" poly under each tire and stubed a piece up the centre of the tire. I used a "T" connector to do this and fastend it to a piece of 1/2" rebar .

The rebar does double duty - holding up the poly and forming a tent for the plastic or horticultural cloth that covers the top.

Its 12 degrees C outside and 25 degrees in a covered tire unit. That should get the soil warmed up in a jiffy. We only managed to get 10 tires up today but we have the method down pat now so we should make better progress tomorrow.

I will have to get more soil as I don't think that I will have enough. Besides I will want to vary the mix for different vegetables. Spuds like sandier soil. I am dealing with some fairly clay soil so it could probably use a few bags of perlite.

Any way it was a nice day, warm once the wind stopped. And I think I may have another convert to the re-tired garden.


Wendy said…
I love your tire garden. It is incredibly creative. At the moment, I have four tire tiers in which I grow potatoes, but that's all I've been able to convince my husband to let me use. He doesn't like the look of tires. I think he's silly ;). I think making use of what we can find for free or cheap is a good deal and a good idea. Maybe, some day, I'll convince him ;).

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Winter

Late in coming, winter does seem to be upon us.

 The snow is piling up and we are very grateful for it.  Hopefully that will translate to a rise in the well water.  last year the water table dropped at least eight feet. Which means we are now looking at several options including water catchment systems, hauling water from town, developing some new wells. 

The doggies are in their glory.  Loving the piles of snow - or as they see them: Doggie Lookouts!

Once in a Blue Moon

Winter Wood.

Winter isn't the best time to be bringing in the wood, but this year it was necessary.  A combination of procrastination and doing other things during the summer.  A mistake I won't be making this year.  We heat everything with wood as using electricity to heat is like burning money.  This year we resorted to trading Pork for Firewood.  Dave used his skidder to untangle the pick up stick from the pond forest.  It's all dead bug wood pine and the wind has done a fair job in knocking it into unr…

Spring Dreams

The snow is gone.  Well, except for a few inches now and then, when Mother Nature decides to remind us that winter will be truly gone when she says it is.  Not when we wish it were. Or whined about it.  She seems particularly deaf about whining.  Almost like using sarcasm with Hurley, the Great Pyrenees.  It's not that they ignore me - it's just not within their job scope.

Have the greenhouse in a flurry of planting.  That's spinach and mesclun mix setting my taste-buds to a slightly embarrassing drooling state.

Soon the dandelions and lamb's quarters will be up and getting a light sprinkling of virgin olive oil (don't get me started) and balsamic vinegar.  That's a 250 watt HPS lamp to make sure they get 18 hours of light a day.

Zucchini came up in a very short time. They are on a two by four heat mat and have a timer controlled grow lamp a foot above them. I know people just can't seem to give away Zukes. Not a problem here, the chickens, turkeys and Peeg…


Blackie the cat gets the primo view.  He was a superlative mouser and had the respect of his peers.

Freedom!  As in Freedom Rangers, Chickens grown to be pastured.  I feel guilty growing the Cornish crosses that we have been.  A chicken with phenomenal feed conversion rates that grows to market weight in six weeks.  If they live.  We have had some terrific losses some as high as thirty percent, attributable to heart failure.  So we have decided to try the freedom rangers.  We had them brought in from their hatchery in Pennsylvania USA, and they arrived five days old, in great health with feathers happening!  Were only trying fifty of them, so there wont be a lot left over.

Still haven't got spinach cultivation to where I want them to be.  We've had one feed off off this tire and it's bolting already.  This week I will try some out in the tire garden, under a cover and see if the cooler temperatures will work better.

 Starting seedling peppers, Brussels sprouts and Red ca…